Eureka High School Boy's and Girl's Basketball All-time Statistics

 Over the last few years, I have tried to pull together all-time basketball statistics for both the Eureka High School boy's and girl's teams.  Little did I know what I was getting into but I had a good start with the outstanding database on the Post-Dispatch's prep sports website.  I pulled basketball stats for every player since 1999 and combined them into one spreadsheet and sorted them to develop top 10 and top 50 lists for every basketball statistics possible.

Unfortunately, I was ignoring athletes prior to 1999.  The boy's and girl's coaches were helpful, because they had top ten lists for both career totals and season bests going back to 1970.  I was able to combine those lists that have been handed down from coach to coach over the years, with the comprehensive statistics from the P-D and build a new rankings.

And then the proverbial crap hit the fan.  I thought I might send the rankings to some pre-1999 players and got an earful back.  Many of their season stats were not on the top ten list.  In several cases, the top boy's scorer and rebounder in school history, John Jones, Jr., did not make the top ten for season scoring and rebounding.  Oops!

As I went through the girl's statistics, again, I experienced the same problem.  The second and third leading scorers in Eureka, MO school history, Tiffany Stewart and Molly Quinn, did not show up on top ten season rankings.  

Somewhere along the line, former coaches had lost those great players statistical records and they had not carried forward.  (Editors note: maybe those former coaches thought to only put in the players best season.  Can’t have a great player in the top ten points for season three or four times, right?). 

Of course, stats keeping has changed over time.  We now look at Hudl video and pay for a scoring service to get the best results.  Back twenty or thirty years ago, the coach might find a student manager to keep game statistics and the stats were sometimes questionable.  At some schools, the stats were padded to make the best players look even better.

I don't blame anyone but, as a historian, statistician and genealogist, I have a strong desire to find the truth and get it right.  Players like John Jones, Tiffany Stewart or Molly Quinn deserve that.  They were great players in their time and we owe it to them to not forget their marvelous performances.

John Jones, Jr. scored nearly 1500 points in his career at Eureka.  He scored 37 points in an 81-67 upset win over Webster Groves back on February 9th, 1996 when the Statesmen won their first 4A state championship with seven-footer Tate Decker and 6'7" Johnnie Parker.  I converted a VHS tape of that game to a DVD and John could really ball.  I am sure that Molly Quinn and Tiffany Stewart could ball too.  Tiffany was part of Eureka's Girls 4A state championship in 2000 under young Coach James Alsup.

I am still looking for stats on these great players but I decided to post both girls and boys statistics on my blog.  The top ten season and career lists are posted here and links to the top 50 are listed below.

Top 50 Eureka Girl's basketball lists

Top 50 Eureka Boy's basketball lists

Enjoy.  

Here are the Eureka Girl's top ten career leaders.  These are pretty solid.


Here are the top ten Eureka Girl's season leaders.  Some of these are suspect because I don't have pre-1999 statistics for some of the career leaders.


Here are the Eureka boy's career leaders.   Again, these lists are solid.










Here are the Eureka Boy's top ten season leaders.  I researched John Jones, Jr. career stats on the Post-Dispatch archives and John provided me with his junior and senior season statistics (except for blocks).  I was able to calculate his sophomore season stats based on his career stats and Jr/Sr. seasons.  


These season stats still might not include athletes who performed before 1999 but it is the best summary with available information


I also ranked players by class year, ie. top freshman, top sophomores, etc.  Here's that ranking:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gramp's Braggin' Rights 2023-2024 Missouri Boys and Girls Basketball Ratings

Gramp's Braggin' Rights Missouri HS girls basketball ratings - Class Three

Gramp's Braggin' Rights Missouri HS girls basketball ratings - Class One